Preserving Our Heritage
Liberty Lake is a community rich with history and culture dating back to the 1800s. Did you know that Liberty Lake was once called Lake Grier, or that the area was originally founded by a Frenchman from Canada? Liberty Lake also used to be linked by trolley to Spokane and other areas. Read more about Liberty Lake's Cultural and Historical Heritage (PDF).
City Employees and community members have gathered information about the Liberty Lake community to help preserve our past and prepare for our future.
Highlights of Liberty Lake Community History
- The Liberty Lake area was originally inhabited by Native Americans long before white settlers came into the area.
- Due to the Homestead Act of 1862, many people decided to settle in the area to be privy to one quarter square mile of government land, provided they grow crops and work to improve the land.
- Liberty Lake was named after a Frenchman named Stephen Liberty who homesteaded on the west side of the lake.
- Liberty Lake was once known as "Spokane's Inland Seashore." With natural beauty and attractions like boating, entertainment, dancing, and Fourth of July celebrations; many were originally brought to the area by electric train.
- In the 1970s, the former Carlson Hill became known as Holiday Hill, which is located on the west side of the city. Holiday Hill and the surrounding area was used for camping, skiing, ice skating, motocross racing, and youth sports camps. A ski lodge and restaurant were also located at Holiday Hill.
- Also in the 1970s, housing opportunities increased north of Sprague Avenue.
- The early 1990s saw a boom in housing development with the creation of Homestead and Meadowwood, as well as commercial and industrial development.
- The annual Liberty Lake 4th of July celebration continues with music and dancing at Pavillion Park, and fireworks over the lake.
- Upon incorporation on August 31, 2001, the city was home to three golf courses and over 4,000 residents.
Pavillion Park Historic Information
- Pavillion Park Historical Photos (PDF) - Historic slideshow of photos from the pavilion site.
- Pavillion Park Historical Document (PDF) - Outlining the history of the parks in Liberty Lake.